Sunday 11 April 2010

Sketchbook and experiments.....

10 & 11th April 2010

Started putting together a sketchbook to compliment my blog. I've a load of cuttings and bits and pieces that need a place to live! There's quite a bit from 'Animation - a Handy Guide' by Sheila Graber which I found useful. It also gave me a chance to go over things again and get them a little more clear in my mind and have something tangible to refer to from time to time.

Although I think I'll be using cut-outs (my rabbit character) for my final animation I wanted to have a quick look at Cel Anmation and how that's changed over the years.



Two cels from Earl Hurd's 'Bobby Bump' series created between 1915 and 1921.



The transparent cel was dropped inot a frame and pressed flat against the background layer by a hinged glass front.

This is a very effective way of combining photographic background with drawn figures but again would take a lot of drawings. I wanted to see how it may look so I drew my rabbit figures onto acetate 'cels', drawing in black marker pen on the front of the acetate and filling in the white with tippex on the back - this way there is no over-lapping of white over black outline showing on the front.



I overlaid this on the photograph background:-



then overlaid cel 2 on top of that one - using registration marks where pegs would be. This shows one small movement of the rabbits.



Need to think about the effect of the imagery on the message being put accross. These experiments help visualise that. The rabbit characters stand out well on this photographic background - which I aim to change to colour/light at the end of the sequence so that it moves from a lonely, isloated feel to one of inclusion and fun through creative play.

Also something to consider is a soundtrack. Although I will probably not have time to produce this I have been researching the type of music/sound I would associate with the animation. I found a sound effects CD 'Essential Sound Effects of Babies & Children' bfrom the BBC which was interesting. The Junior school playground one would work well for the middle of the animation - as the colour and creative objects are introduced to suggest happiness and fun.

It would start off with lonely music..like this maybe?



That may be a bit too 'violinic'

Perhaps this would be better - more simple, less involved



or you could try the basis of the following song and recreate it in a more simple, way using instruments like xylophones, bells etc which would appeal more to children rather than this full orchestral version



Have tried to upload the BBC sound effects of children laughing on here - no joy. It's not on YouTube and I can't copy it on so you'll have to take my word for it! The 'laughter' examples on YouTube are flawed with other bits.

No comments:

Post a Comment