Saturday 13 March 2010

looking at tutorials..

13/3/10

Today I'm looking through the tutorials Julie put up on Blackboard. Because I really know nothing about animation, my head is swimming with what might be possible to do practically and what might not but until you see what's what, you're never going to know!

Looked at 'How to Animate a Cartoon using Windows Movie Maker'.

http://www.officialwindowsmagazine.com/guides/how-to-animate-your-own-cartoons-using-windows-moviemaker/

but they reccommend you use Wacam Bamboo or a similar tool which I don't have access to. It won't be practical or sophisticated enough to draw all the frames on a mouse pad or with mouse - I've tried and it's rubbish! I need to be able to do work from home also as we have such limited studio time... so onto the next one...

How to Make Stop Motion using Windows Movie Maker








Here a plastic model is being used - I should almost make this easier for myself and use a model but my ideas are based on drawn figures - this is a useful video though as it goes through the processes. I was unable to embed the tutorial up on Blackboard unfortunately. Perhaps today I will go look for a doll or toy to work on and ask if I can incorporate drawings into it. Perhaps have the drawings for background?

Here is a tutorial using cut out drawings...





It is interesting to see the size of the workspace. For some reason I was thinking my drawings would be small and therefore fiddly in cut outs..but it's much bigger which will make it easier

I will try to use a cut out using the drawing of Arthur. The thing that may be tricky is the fact that he's not doing anything specific - it's more about expressing a feeling? Him in a corner of a dark lonely room...and slowly coming out of it through play and learning with others... How? Let's just try to play with the cut outs first...
Also need to get a tripod...

Found this - a lot more like what I want....

This was by Ashlea Caewood at kendal college, Ashlea says "I created this animation for a college project. The project was based on my identity so i decided to focus it on my ambition as an illustrator. I was inspired by Katy Davis who uses a very similar technique in that she uses hand drawn objects and photographic backgrounds. The animation was put together and finished all in photoshop"






so looked further at work by Katy Davis

By Gobblynne. Music video for “Gone Fishing” by Second Person (www.secondperson.net). Dreamy 2D mixed media animated music video about love and finding plenty more fish in the sea.






the soundtracks on both these videos are beautiful also and so suitable...

This is very short but combines photo background, drawn figure and text - which I also want to add..





feeling more inspired... will try and make some figures this afternoon and find a background.

Basic idea

hand drawn figure on a gloomy dark background

looks lonely and sad...no friends... nothing to do....

parent possibly - on the other side of photo..looking the same..

gradually figures turn round to to see a shaft of colour at one side of frame...and the words - bored? lonely? want something fun to do?

this moves into a new scene - a bright photographic background blending from the dark black/white one.. and more drawn figures of happy, colourful children at play, reading, etc (use figures from flyer I did in last assignment)

text in between frames 'LEAP activities - workshops, arts and crafts, storytelling'





I looked at some images online to draw from (as well as the ones I used in the last project)




for the child I found a photograph......




What I needed now was a photographic image as my background - wanted a bleak empty room - found one Google Images. Cropped the title out in Photoshop



Now I needed to experiment with cut outs. I traced the images from the screen, drawing them in outline form only



I then enlarged the boy photo and drew out the basic component parts for a cut out
marking which bit was which.





I traced these pieces on to thin card and cut them out, experimenting with placing them in the right place on the photograph background. At this stage I wanted the boy to be bigger than he'd have normally appeared in a photo as he is the star of this animation. I could use brass fasteners to fix the pieces in place but then the more subtle movements left and right couldn't be achieved so for this experiment I just placed them by hand and moved them gently as required.

















These are obviously very crude drawings and need to be a lot more sophisticated to work. I shall have to ask someone if you can draw these in a more professional way and manipulate them accordingly. I just don't know enough basics about the software yet. Would like to see how Katy Davis did hers....

No comments:

Post a Comment